Monday, March 9, 2015

26 - Off The Charts: The Song-Poem Story

     A documentary about the song-poem industry.  Musicians solicit lyrical submissions to craft songs from - for a fee.
     I used to have this on DVD, but I lent it to someone and never got it back.
     While I love the subject matter, and I think there's some fantastic material in this, I realized that this isn't a very well-crafted documentary.  In particular, the focus seems to be lost by the end of it.  The last 10 minutes or so just follows a guy who had submitted some song-poems as he attempts to do a live performance.  It's interesting, but it isn't really on topic.
     I would like to have some more figures from seeing this.  I know that many of the songs people submit are religious in nature, but the song-poems I've found cover some very interesting ground.  There are political songs, religious ones, but there are others that reflect just a specific interest, or an event that inspired the person.  One of my favorites is The Moon Men, which is a rambling coverage of the original moon landing.  It praises the astronauts, but it also adds a big dose of specific information, about them having to remain in isolation afterward.  It's a spectacularly strange performance, with the singer moving up and down the scale, but without a real end point to any phrases.
      I would also like to see more of an exploration of the meaning of the industry.  I like it.  It's exciting to hear your lyrics brought to music, and there's something generous about using your musical talents to put something like this together, even if it's for money.

No comments:

Post a Comment