Monday, March 9, 2015

33 - L.A. Story

     An unhappy LA weatherman is guided through a correction in his life by a signpost, as he leaves his relationship, his job, and strikes up a new romance.
     My favorite movie.  Over time, I've wondered how much that description still applies.  I still think this is a wonderfully paced movie.  It's layered in many different ways.  The writing is fantastic.  There's just enough oddity to make things curious.  The performances are all great.  Even some of the trivial bits, like the woman that Steve Martin eyes in the dressing room.
     I met Steve Martin a few years ago.  I told him that L.A. Story has been my favorite movie, and I got a picture with him.  I think he was pleased that I wasn't going to talk about The Jerk or something like that.
     There are weaknesses to this movie, but they're all issues that have to do with an audience that doesn't pay close attention.  The movie rewards multiple viewings, as the themes are easier to fit together.
     Even now, after probably dozens of viewings, I felt like I noticed a few new things.  The direction is really interesting.  There are these fast-cut sequences establishing new locations, and most of them are really nicely framed.  Then I also noticed a few hand-held shots that follow characters around in some really interesting ways.  This isn't the same as the round meal scene, which is fairly obvious, but scenes like Harris trying to talk Sara into staying.  The camera starts at one point, moves around with the characters, turns around, follows them up the stairs... it's well blocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment