Tuesday, March 24, 2015

43 - John Dies at the End

    A guy and his friend have a problem with psychic powers, trans-dimensional demons and bugs, and a possible end to the world.
    I can’t describe this movie, and I shouldn’t try to summarize it.  None of the descriptions I’ve seen have been anywhere near intelligible.  The movie is difficult to like, mostly because it’s easy to spend the first half of it wondering what’s happening.  There’s a recurring sense that something happened that you missed, and that something would explain everything.  I kept on looking up a summary just to make sure that I didn’t miss anything important.
    I’ll say this - the writing is entertaining.  Every scene is clever, unexpected, weird, and wild.  But there’s only so much that I can take of this sort of thing.  The constant weirdness is a problem, and I’ve encountered it in a few other movies before.  Even a staple like Brazil, which revels in weirdness, still has, at the core, a recognizable humanity in the romantic story.  I never feel like any of the characters are human in this movie.
    There’s a certain type of person that this movie is right for.  I know at least one person who would love it.  But the appeal is not broad, and I can imagine most people really disliking it.
    Personally, I respect it.  But I wouldn’t want to return to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment