Sunday, March 8, 2015

15 - Living in Oblivion

     An independent film production struggles with all sorts of problems.
         I’ve seen this several times, and it gets better every time.  This time, it wasn’t just the performances, although I’ve been completely amazed by Catherine Keener’s performance.  Her work is some of the trickiest stuff I’ve seen.  She’s playing a character who is an actress.  Her character isn’t a bad actress, but just needs the right motivation to get the best performance.  As she goes through take after take of a single scene, her performance starts off acceptable, then gets worse with successive takes.  It’s exceptional to see this level of nuance, and the very slight changes she uses to create a smooth flow from quality to garbage without feeling forced at all.
      I'm also completely impressed with the script.  I found myself wondering about how the different layers of reality would be explained.  There are lots of wonderful little setups that happen, and it pays well to keep a good focus on everything that happens.
     My favorite moment is still the fantasy of the crew member who thinks about getting a hamburger at a diner.

No comments:

Post a Comment