Tuesday, March 24, 2015

40 - Honeymoon

    A newlywed couple takes their honeymoon in a secluded forest-lake area.  Something odd happens, and she starts acting strange.
    This has gotten a lot of good press, and it’s a little unusual.  I’m also impressed that it has a total cast of four people, and two of them have less than five minutes of screen time.  The writing is mostly strong, and the sense of intimacy between the leads is just right.  I found myself a little displeased with the direction that the story takes near the end, but it wasn’t enough to ruin the rest of the movie.  I’m not sure what I was expecting, just… there was more of a sci-fi twist than a horror one.
    A few answers are provided by the ending, but not enough to feel completely satisfying.  I’m not sure what information would have been more complete.
    It did reinforce an important screenwriting tool that I haven’t been able to completely grasp - the idea of giving the audience tiny clues, and forcing them to fill in all the blanks on their own.  It’s a delicate line, giving just enough information without giving too little.
     One of the biggest problems that I can see is that this could have been presented as an episode of the X-Files without much difficulty.

No comments:

Post a Comment