Sunday, March 8, 2015

14 - Revenge of the Nerds

     Picked on by jocks and sorority girls, freshman nerds at Adams College beat their opposition.
     I don't know how many times I've seen this movie. I owned it on VHS.  I watched it on TV.  I've had it on DVD for a long time.
     I recently read a fantastically long analysis of the movie, which raised a lot of interesting questions about the moral.  Some of these points were already well known and are suspiciously regarded - like the quasi-rape scene on the "moon."  Others require a little more thought, like the relationship of the football coach to the players, and that the coach might actually be responsible for bullying his players into everything they do.
     I did learn something new from watching this.  A well-crafted movie can overcome all sorts of plot problems through sheer force.  After the pigs are let loose in the nerd party, everyone rushes outside where they are taunted by the Alpha Betas.  I realized that they never address what happens to the pigs.  They simply disappear once they are no longer needed.  But it's easy to forget this sort of thing once we are distracted by the ridiculousness of the jock's display.
     Another thing... Michelle Meyrink is remarkable.  She has ten credits on IMDB, and somehow, I think she managed to encapsulate the nerd-girl fantasies of just about every geeky guy out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment