Tuesday, March 17, 2015

36 - Bridgend

    A documentary about a rash of suicides in Bridgend, Wales.
    This was a strangely frustrating documentary to watch, for multiple reasons.  First, this is a peculiar story that has nothing of interest behind it.  We learn nothing about the motivations behind the suicides.  It’s an interesting problem, but this manages to make it into something barely watchable.  A suicide is discussed by the surviving parents.  They describe having to identify the body.  Then they talk about how bothered they are that they don’t understand why it happened.
    A lot of the people they talk to speculate about the reasons why their suicide rate is so high, but there never seems to be any consensus.  The one instance that seems to have an reason is when a daughter had committed suicide, and the father kills himself sometime afterward.
    There’s a tiny amount of time spent talking about how the health services delay treatment.
    I guess what bothers me is that my feelings about suicide are a bit different.  I tend to lean toward empathizing with the suicidal.  The result is that I feel like all of the parents we see are just unable to observe their kids carefully.
    There’s a good amount of talk about how “selfish” suicide is, which has always bothered me.  I’ve always felt like that observation is, in itself, a selfish position to take.
    Meh.  This felt surprisingly dull to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment