Tuesday, March 24, 2015

41 - Psycho Beach Party

    A naive young girl hangs out with a bunch of beach guys, as a killer picks off a few people here and there.  Is it her bizarre split personality?
    I saw this years ago, and it left an impression.  It was one of the stranger movies I’ve seen, but I felt like something was missing, that I wasn’t able to fully appreciate it.  Now that I’m seeing it again… I still can tell that I don’t understand every reference or joke, but I still think it’s completely fascinating.  I don’t think there’s anything else like it.  It’s a campier version of John Waters.  It’s sillier, but also so drenched in sexuality… and not just one type.  The sexuality in the movie is fully fluid, almost like the humor in Strangers With Candy.  It’s kind of disorienting to viewers until they get used to it.
    There is a problem with the movie, and it’s a real shame.  The story actually gets in the way of the movie.  The writing is so clever, but the plot seems shoehorned in.  It’s not a bad plot, but… maybe it’s just that the story feels like it should be more straightforward.
    It’s great to see Lauren Ambrose in something else.  She’s one of the most likable characters in Can’t Hardly Wait, and she’s strangely adorable.
     This was originally a stage play, and I'd be curious to see how the material plays in that context.  The performances are wonderfully campy, and it might be more effective on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment