Sunday, June 1, 2014

93 - X-Men: Days of Future Past

    In a ravaged future, the remaining X-Men send Logan’s consciousness back in time to the 70’s, where he can persuade Professor X and Magneto to unite to prevent an assassination that leads to the terrible future.
    Heavily modified from the original story, but this movie is a remarkable feat, even as it isn’t quite as engaging as First Class was.  The script is remarkably tight, and I’m impressed with how well they handled time travel elements.  They manage to give enough time to many lesser characters.  They reduce the role that Storm plays.  Overall, it’s very pleasing.
    There are minor things that bothered me, but they weren’t often.  I felt like there was a tendency to use some very predictable lines, and that’s started to feel lazy to me.
    My biggest issue was actually with Magneto’s end game.  He manages to manipulate the sentinels so that he can control them.  This is great.  He interrupts their unveiling and has them attack the audience.  This is great; it actually seems like a pretty good idea.  But then he decides that it’s a good idea to attack the president, and make his identity and motives announced?  This works against his goal.  If he had kept his identity quiet, and just made the sentinels go berserk, that would have been a perfect ploy.  I suppose that his extra grab for power was useful to establish him as being a more firm villain.
    I have less affinity for some of the less classic X-Men characters.  Blink, Sunspot, Warpath… even Bishop is a little too modern for my tastes (though I suppose the 90s are about twenty years ago now.)
    The movie is an impressive feat, and I’m very interested in finding how well it stands up to a second viewing.  Still, I’m glad that it was created, and it’s nice that the X-Men property is getting back on track.

     There are massive differences between the source material and this story, and most of them are okay, even if they were clearly done for commercial reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment