Sunday, June 15, 2014

103 - X-Men: The Last Stand

    A cure is devised that suppresses the mutant gene.  Jean Grey comes back to life and threatens mankind as the Phoenix.
    What drives me to watch this movie is how weak it is.  It’s so easy to forget everything that happens in this movie, and that makes me want to pop it in and remember what happens.
    It’s weak.  But it’s hard to point to specific problems.  I was trying to focus on it, and there are a few things that stood out.
    1 - There’s a cheapness to a few sequences.  Some of the parts during Magneto’s bridge sequence near the end look really unfinished.  Juggernaut’s costume looks like it’s made out of styrofoam padding.  No real heft to it.
    2 - There are some script problems.  It’s not the actual structuring, which I think is pretty impressive for having to balance the stories and characters so much.  It’s the focus on using punchlines to end scenes.  I don’t mind that, but the line has to be good enough, and the performances have to be just right.
    3 - There’s a repetition to the movie.  When watching Days of Future Past, I realized how much I hated the shots of Storm activating her powers.  In this movie, there are at least three instances where she has a dramatic shot when she uses her powers.  Every one of them is annoying.

    In spite of all of these problems, I’m not too picky about it all.  It gets a bit dull, but it’s still a reasonably fun movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment