Thursday, June 26, 2014

111 - Mortified Nation

    A documentary about the success of the Mortified stage show.
    I think I heard about Mortified on This American Life.  I liked it then, but I’ve had a hard time finding more about it.  This documentary explains the show, and explains what is so appealing about it.  It doesn’t have a strong main character or any obstacle to overcome, but it’s a joy to see people sharing some very personal writings.
    I kept my journals for a very long time.  I had one terrible one that was from the point when I learned to write up through probably first or second grade.  Then I started actually keeping dated notebooks during fourth grade.  All of the stuff that these people talk about - misery, wanting a girlfriend, feeling rejected… what’s funny is that I was accumulating those records about two years earlier than any of these people.  Of course, I kept it going for a long time too.
    But I also got rid of my old ones.  I scanned all my songwriting notebooks from high school, but I threw out all of my notebooks from 1st through 8th grade.  I looked them over at some point, and realized that I didn’t want to remember this version of me.
    I wonder how much it’s because I feel embarrassed about it.  Sadly, I don’t know how much of it I’ve come past.
    There are a few stories shared in the documentary that are noteworthy because they’re much more unique.  There’s a guy who denies his homosexuality, even as he details having sex with another man.  I never struggled with my sexuality, but I found this to be the most honest portrayal of someone with this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment