Tuesday, July 1, 2014

112 - Sleepaway Camp

    A killer is picking off people at a summer camp.
    A classic of 80’s horror.  I actually bought the box set of the Sleepaway Camp movies back during college.  It was a great deal for all three movies, plus a disc of some of the footage they shot for a proposed fourth movie.  Surprisingly, I found that this box set got recalled, and the packaging was changed after the Red Cross complained.
    The movie is best known for the ending - specifically the last shot.  It’s a remarkably strange shot, since it actually plays almost like a dream.  The killer stands, brandishing a knife and the victim’s head.  Their mouth is open, and there’s a strange, guttural noise coming out.  The eyes are bright and unblinking.  It’s weird.  It’s really weird.  Because it’s so weird, it makes the movie memorable.
    It’s been a long time since I’ve watched this movie, and it’s an unusual experience.  I knew it would be dated.  But it’s a peculiar mix of good and bad work.  The script is campy, and some of the cast really hams up their work.  Some of the rest of the cast does a good job with the material they have.  Some of the direction is clever, and some of it is dull.
    I noticed an effects shot that I was impressed with - a character gets an arrow shot through his neck.  I watched it in slow motion, and I was able to figure out how they did it.  But it was still staged very well.
    What actually impresses me much more about this movie - especially in comparison with the two direct sequels - is that they actually have a pretty substantial cast for this movie.  There are plenty of kids wandering around, and it actually feels like a summer camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment