Sunday, July 27, 2014

131 - 13 Sins

    A man in financial dire straits is selected to participate in a game, where the rewards continue increasing, but his tasks get progressively darker.
    A riff on Saw.  But this plays pretty well, at least for the first 3/4 of it.  The last bit seemed to wrap things up too neatly.
    The tasks that the hero is required to do get increasingly more interesting, and it seems more and more unlikely that he’ll get out of it.  This is really effective.  Around the fifth or sixth task - the coffee shop - I realized I was much more interested in figuring out what direction the story was going to go in.  In a weird way, it reminded me of a cheaper version of Crank.  It’s not focused on action, but it does have a plot device that keeps on ratcheting things up and placing the hero in new situations.
    I’m not happy with the ending.  I understand why they went with it, since the hero needs to save his soul to win.  I don’t buy that.  I don’t even buy the warning he gets from his father.

No comments:

Post a Comment