Wednesday, July 30, 2014

135 - Scream 2

    Sidney, the surviving protagonist of Scream, is off at college.  The story of the murders in Scream have been released as a book, which has been adapted into a movie, which a new killer is using as a prompt to start their own spree.
    I know that I saw this - and Scream 3 - in theaters.  Beyond the opening sequence, I didn’t remember anything about it.  The only thing I remember about Scream 3 is that Heather Matarazzo is in it.
    It’s just boring.  The opening sequence is the most enjoyable thing about it, and it doesn’t feel like it has much of anything to do with the rest of the movie.  The victims seem to be randomly selected.
    I suppose I can elaborate on the quality of the opening sequence.  We get to see a rowdy theater (I’ve seen The Room and Snakes on a Plane in theaters, and neither of them were as ridiculously rowdy as this) where a hip couple argue.  The guy loves horror movies, she seems to be annoyed by them (even though she seems to get really into them).  She leaves to go to get popcorn.  After she gets it, they meet by the door, and he says he’s going to the bathroom.  In the bathroom, he’s killed by a guy in the ghost mask.  He’s stabbed in the side of the head.  The knife manages to be thrust through a bathroom stall.  Seriously.  This isn’t a great way to start the movie, especially if you want to establish that this is taking place in the real world (which is what we’re supposed to get by seeing scenes from the first movie being re-staged in the theater).
    Then we go back to the girl, who’s getting really into the movie.  A guy in a ghost mask comes and sits next to her.  She eventually realizes that it isn’t her boyfriend.  She gets stabbed.
    This sequence feels very Hitchcock.  Someone in danger while they’re in a crowd.  The audience’s misunderstanding is part of the tension.  I like this.
    Then things fall apart.  We get a bunch of scenes bringing all of the surviving characters back.  We get more tongue-in-cheek dialogue referencing other movies.  Sigh.  And it seemed kind of obvious that they were telegraphing who the killer was.
    Of course, there’s a big twist ending, which is mostly impossible to see coming.

    Okay, a pair of people are killed at a movie theater.  For some reason, the police hold a press conference on the local college campus.  Why?  So that there’s a reason to have Sidney there!
    There’s a sequence that involves Jerry O’Connell getting up on a cafeteria table and singing “I Think I Love You” to Sidney.  I’m not sure why this sequence is in the movie, except that they thought it was a funny idea.  It’s dumb, and it’s kind of annoying.  The rest of the students react to this with clapping and cheers.  I'd have an easier time believing that reaction if they were in high school.  In college, most people tend to just ignore that kind of stuff.
    I wonder what the deal is with these movies.  These should be exactly my kind of thing.  I know virtually every reference they make, but I simply can’t make myself care.  Maybe I’d rather see something a little more original than a bunch of ground-up references.

No comments:

Post a Comment