Sunday, July 27, 2014

128 - Limitless

    A struggling novelist finds an experimental drug that unleashes his intellectual and creative abilities, along with the ability to focus on his tasks.  Along with the drug comes withdrawal, debts, and blackouts.
    In my mind, I pair this movie with The Adjustment Bureau.  I think I originally saw them back-to-back.
    This is a good movie.  It’s not exceptional, but it’s very good.  It holds my attention, it moves along quickly, and it makes me think.  There are a few weak points, but they aren’t terrible.  A few of the plot steps are a little off.  When he gets back together with his girlfriend, I wouldn’t expect her to be interested in him - he’s a different person.  He states as much.  But she doesn’t seem to care until she tries the drug.  The other thing that isn’t quite right is a third act plot point.  In order to give himself a dosage of the drug, he drinks the blood of a man who had injected himself with the drug.  This… it’s possible, but unlikely.  I don’t think there would be enough concentration of the drug.
    I noticed more of the filmmaking techniques this time through.  The same trick is used in a few different ways, but it’s an exhilarating effect.  It shows up early on, as the camera zooms down a sidewalk, splicing together multiple shots into a seamless near-infinite zoom.

No comments:

Post a Comment