Sunday, July 27, 2014

132 - Black Rock

    Three girlfriends go on a little vacation to a small island where they used to vacation as children.  They run afoul of three former soldiers, who decide to hunt them.
    Variations on The Most Dangerous Game are usually pretty fun.  A smartly written version can be tense and engaging.  In this case, it’s passable, but it’s the kind of movie that I would forget in another day or two.
    To start with, I had a really strange sense of deja vu at the beginning.  There’s a brief bit where a character claims she has cancer.  She’s joking, but something about it seemed very familiar.  I wasn’t sure if I had seen this movie before.  I wonder if I’ve seen the same kind of sequence somewhere else.  Or maybe these setup scenes are just especially predictable.
    I had noticed during the credits that the story was written by a woman.  I assumed that the script was also done by a woman, and I felt terrible for feeling like these women were kind of insulting to women everywhere.  Luckily, during the closing credits, I noticed that the screenplay was done by a man.  This can explain a lot.  The women don’t seem especially bright.  They are aware of how serious their situation is, but they still aren’t able to control how loudly they’re talking.  They’re petty in their disputes.  There’s a remarkable amount of cursing, which doesn’t bother me much, but it doesn’t ring true to my ear.
    The story unfolds exactly as you expect.  In retrospect, I suppose they did make one interesting choice.  The first girl to die off isn’t who I would expect.  But the more I think about it, it was really the only viable choice, given how the setup was done.
    The villains are… poorly defined.  They’re typical, aggressive guys, out for vengeance.  But they don’t even need that motivation.  The story would work just as well if they were just looking for some thrill killing.
    Still, well shot, the sound was fine.  It held my attention acceptably.

No comments:

Post a Comment