Wednesday, June 4, 2014

94 - Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy

    A documentary about the making and impact of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise.
    This is a long documentary.  It’s about four hours long.  I started watching it on a whim, but it’s remarkably engrossing.  Since it’s covering a large number of movies, the subject matter always is moving forward, and time isn’t spent treading water on the same stuff.  Seeing this has increased my appreciation for the work that went into the Nightmare movies.
    The effects work is remarkable.  Most of the work they did on these movies involved practical effects.  With the low budgets involved, some of this was really incredible.  The rotating room set is amazing.  They worked with a variety of first time directors, which created some great careers.
    They aren’t broadly supportive of everything that happens with the movies.  They acknowledge bad decisions that were made - especially with Part 2.  If anything, this documentary has made me want to watch Part 2 and New Nightmare again.
    I’ve always remembered The Dream Warriors as being a good entry, but it’s another one of those ones that I’ve forgotten.  It’s easy for me to put off watching them as long as there’s more new stuff out there for me to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment