Sunday, June 15, 2014

104 - The Talented Mr. Ripley

    Tom Ripley fakes being a school acquaintance of Dickie Greenleaf, traveling to Italy at the request of Dickie’s father, and attempting to persuade him to return to the US.  Ripley becomes obsessed with Dickie, and usurps his identity.
    This is one of those amazing movies that I’ve never known anyone to disagree with.  It’s a little slow for a younger viewer, but it’s mesmerizing because of the photography.  The story is fantastic, but it’s so nuanced that it’s hard to feel like you absorb everything with the first viewing.
    I saw this in theaters.  I’m not sure who was with me, but I remember that the first death is a remarkable shock.  Even now, after I’ve seen the movie several times, the way it plays out is amazing.  I remember feeling a little put off by the ending.  There seems to be an extra scene.  Everything seems to get put in the right place, then there’s an extra scene, which makes it clear that Ripley’s lies still can catch up with him.
    Now that I write about it that way, it make perfect sense.  I guess it’s a bit of a risk; if you identify with Ripley, and want to see him win, then the happy ending feels right.  If you want something a little darker, then suppose the last scene makes it work.
    This is also the first time I’ve watched it on Blu-ray.  It looks fantastic.
    Also, I’m in the process of listening to the audiobook of The Disaster Artist, which has a large portion concerning this movie.  It’s a nice pairing.

No comments:

Post a Comment