Sunday, June 15, 2014

101 - Napoleon Dynamite

    Awkward teenager Napoleon and his peculiar family, friends, and acquaintances have a series of low-key adventures.
    I saw this in theaters with Cathy when it came out.  I remembered liking it.  I remember that she didn’t.  Since it’s been awhile, it’s interesting to see how differently I perceive the movie.
    It’s fun, but that’s about all.  The writing is good, but not great.  Most of what sells the movie is a combination of the editing and the performances.  I didn’t care for the writing as much as I used to.  Napoleon is an unusual character, in that he seems perpetually passive, but he’s mildly heroic at the same time.
    I realized that I couldn’t identify a sequence early on where we decide that he’s worth caring about, but his opening scene does establish a central theme for the movie.  When asked what he plans on doing today, he says “whatever I feel like.”
    Napoleon is interesting because he really lets things just slide off him.  Even when he’s unhappy, he doesn’t overreact.  He deals with Uncle Rico remarkably well, considering how sleazy Rico is.
    I can’t really decide what I think of this movie.  I enjoy it, but I also feel like it’s not quite everything it could be.  It’s an unusual movie, because it deals with unique characters in a very dull existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment