Tuesday, June 24, 2014

109 - Willow

    Farmer Willow finds a human child in the reeds.  He makes a journey to return her to other humans.  Along the way, he discovers that she is a prophesied child, and he follows on an adventure to overthrow the evil queen Bavmorda.
    A real classic of the 80s.  I saw it in theaters.  I was enthralled.  I still enjoy it, even though a few of the sequences slow down a little.  This time, I watched it with more of a screenwriter’s eye and ear.
    The writing is actually structured really well.  There are little arcs, like Sorsha’s turn from evil to good that play out nicely (if a little unrealistically).  There are loads of callbacks, something I need to figure out how to do effectively.  There was one line I really hated - Bavmorda is bothered at her daughter’s betrayal, and she yells “I must despise you!”
    What really pleases me is how well the movie balances the tone.  There’s a consideration for younger audiences, but they still push the envelope a little.  The trolls are a bit menacing, but probably a little more than the flying monkeys.  But there’s an effect sequence where a troll’s skin peels off and it turns into a bloody mass of flesh that gets lit on fire.  This feels especially grotesque for children.
    I saw this in theaters at least once, possibly more than once.  I loved it, and I had the Marvel Comics adaptation.  I never felt like anything was disgusting or distressing.  I remember being completely fascinated by General Kael’s skull mask (which was based on the concept art for Skeletor).
    What sells this movie, and what has led to the longevity that it has, is Val Kilmer’s performance.  He’s completely charming, a little sleazy, courageous, and he has an inspiring arc.  He’s like Han Solo, it’s just a meatier part than Han had.

No comments:

Post a Comment