Wednesday, February 19, 2014

38 - The Occupants

    A lady and her husband and young child live in a nice house.  Out of nowhere, they start seeing apparitions of a family, leading to an eventual slaughter.
    There's something very familiar about this movie, but I'm not positive what it is.  Some of it seems very derivative, but then there are some parts that seem surprisingly original.
    It's an okay movie.  The horror is toned down in favor of psychological efforts.  Normally I like that, but the reduced tension really made me have a hard time paying attention.
    The bigger problem is that I shouldn't be able to guess two of the three reveals at the end by the first twenty minutes.  The last reveal had a lot of clues leading up to it.
    I don't mind this.  It's a sign of a tightly woven script.  It's part of what makes movies satisfying.
    There are a few little problems.  The lead descends into madness too quickly.  There's not that much doubt that she's crazy, when that's something I would rather still be wondering about halfway through.  This might be compounded by the actress, who manages to look like she has massive, massive eyes.  Combined with the use of mascara, I found this really distracting.
    By the end though, I was impressed with how complete the ending felt.  It came full circle, and there was a touch of classiness to an otherwise by-the-numbers horror thriller.

No comments:

Post a Comment