Tuesday, February 4, 2014

27 - Thor: The Dark World

    Thor deals with the threat an ancient race of Dark Elves poses to the universe, and specifically, to Jane Foster.
    I didn't have particular feelings about the first Thor movie.  I remember liking Asgard, but the rest of it seemed weirdly dull.  I can't even remember much of the story for the first movie.  But I was pleased with how well they handled his character in the Avengers movie.  That change made me more interested in seeing The Dark World.
    There are a few problems, but they boil down to two things in particular.  First, the villain, the lead Dark Elf, is odd, but somehow doesn't seem as menacing as I expected.  He was more distant than I like my villains to be.  The second problem is more difficult to fix.  I have a hard time caring about Jane Foster.  She should be likable.  She's supposed to be smart, the hero likes her, she's surrounded with a fun supporting cast that she leads… but I find her completely disinteresting.  It might be that she doesn't sell being smart.  She doesn't solve any problems in a clever way, and just mostly looks at equipment and says "this is amazing."
    Despite those weaknesses, I liked this one much more.  Thor is more interesting, Loki slips back into just being a straight trickster.  There's a brief battle sequence early in the movie.  It's daytime, and it's just crowded enough.  I'm really happy to see a battle like this.  It reminds me a little of Willow.  It isn't as packed as the Lord of the Rings movies, and you can see exactly what is happening.
    It's great to see the Collector at the end.  I don't care about the character too much, but I love setting up the Infinity Gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment