Wednesday, February 12, 2014

33 - Bowfinger

    Dead-end director Bowfinger finds a script he likes.  He decides to make the movie with a well-knowns star, but without the star's knowledge.
    Man, I love this movie.  I didn't think much of it the first time, but as I got accustomed to it, I've really come to love everything about it.  It's not just the humor, but there's a wonderful heart to the movie.  It's primarily about the magic of the arts, and the calling that people have to work in them.
    I think I've talked about that before.
    This time, I was paying closer attention to the script.  I realized that there was a lot of funny stuff, but it wasn't the line itself, it was usually the delivery or the character reaction.  There are a few lines that stood out as clever jokes, but it's good to know that everything was pretty simple otherwise.
    This makes me feel better about the prospect of writing a comedy.  I think the situation is what matters, not the actual jokes.  The comedy I'm thinking of isn't quite as high-concept as this, but at least I think I've got a possibility.

    Back to this movie, if I have any complaints, I think it's that Heather Graham's plot is too busy.  I like the number of people she goes through, and most of the steps of it are good, but I think there's just a little too much of her story inserted throughout the rest of the movie.  A lot of it is subtle, but it's weirdly distracting.

No comments:

Post a Comment