Saturday, March 16, 2013

36 - Torn Curtain

    A man goes behind the iron curtain, unintentionally bringing his fiancee along.  I don't want to give more away, but it involves lots of spies, and smuggling people in and out of Germany.
    This stars Paul Newman, who I've only known from Cool Hand Luke, and Julie Andrews, who I've only known from Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music.  Both of their characters aren't developed that much, but their personalities aren't the important part.  First, the mystery is, and then second, the suspense is.  This is a lesser Hitchcock effort, and I'd probably place it below Marnie.  There were a few good sequences in this.  I liked the material at the farm, and the museum looked interesting, partly since it seemed to be half matte paintings.
    There's one death in the movie, and it's an unusual one.  The violence is stretched out, and I'm curious about the effect this has.  It's a long struggle, and none of the parties are especially skilled at killing or fighting.  What makes this weirder is that Newman's character never seems to be that choked up about having killed someone.
    There's something I don't like about the structuring of the story.  There are a few sidetracks that seem too silly.  Like the whole thing with the lady who wants them to be her sponsor.  Some of these touches add tension, but that is their only function.  I suppose I prefer to have the story more taut.
    I also felt like Paul Newman looks a little like George W. Bush.  And Julie Andrews looks a little like Carrie Fisher wearing a wig.

No comments:

Post a Comment