Saturday, March 9, 2013

33 - The Muppet Movie

    Kermit gets dreams of becoming an entertainer in Hollywood, and sets out on a road trip.  He picks up assorted other Muppets - Fozzie, Gonzo and Henrietta, Piggy.  And he's being chased by a guy who owns a chain of restaurants that serve frog legs.
    I was looking to get the more recent Muppet movie, but Netflix sent the old one.  It had been a long time, and I tend to get their movies mixed up.  This still has one problem that I remember.  It's got some slow pacing.  Some of the sequences are inspired, and it's great to see Steve Martin and Mel Brooks in this movie.  What gets in the way is how thin the plot is.  I don't care too much for the romance between Kermit and Piggy, but it played a little better than I remember it being as a kid.
    The songs are a mixed bag.  I'm not a fan of Rainbow Connection.  It's catchy, but it seems like it goes on longer than it needs to.  In fact, that's a common complaint about most of the songs.  Some of them are really great, but need a touch of trimming.  Movin' Right Along is lots of fun.  I'm Going to Go Back There Someday is very nice.  But something about them allows the viewer to tune out about 3/4th of the way through the number.  I like the first half of I Hope That Somethin' Better Comes Along.
    There's also something that leaves me feeling unresolved.  Something about how neatly tied up the ending comes together.  The antagonist is scared off, but I don't feel like anything was solved.  There no reason why he wouldn't come back.  The Muppets succeed too easily, which is amusing, but a bit anticlimactic.  And the ending number just isn't powerful enough to make me leave the movie with a good feeling.
    Nevertheless, it's still fun, and there are some fantastic little moments.  Beeker only gets a few "lines" but he steals those scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment