Saturday, August 15, 2015

123 - The Happy House

    A young couple goes away for the weekend to a bed & breakfast in the middle of nowhere.  The owner is a peculiar woman.
    Oy, this movie is a mess.  I’m not saying it’s bad, because I can imagine this playing really well.  But it’s almost as if the story and script are being played in the wrong medium.
    There are loads of problems.  The cast is mostly unremarkable.  No one does a notable job with their material.  The pacing is terrible.  The script is making an effort to be a bit campy and tongue-in-cheek.  But it never works.  The biggest problem is the ending.  There’s a lack of one.  It doesn’t feel cathartic, which I suppose is intentional.  It’s an effort to subvert the normal tropes of a horror movie, but instead, it just feels like there was no reason to watch it.
    However… I could imagine this working as a stage play.  With a strong cast, and some extra polish on the script, it could be a whole lot of fun in that context.
    I can’t say that I would ever bother to watch this again, or even suggest it to anyone to watch, but it’s an interesting curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment