Saturday, August 15, 2015

119 - The Dark Knight Rises

    After Bane takes over Gotham and isolates it from the rest of the country, Batman has to come out of retirement to save the city.
    I’m conflicted about this movie, and that might be what has made it more interesting.  The Dark Knight is generally pretty great, and it’s easy to remember a lot of what happens in it.  My memories of The Dark Knight Rises are more scattered.  I remember shots, certain scenes.  But I have a harder time remembering how the story fits together.  Combined with some of the weaknesses, I find myself much more drawn to watching it more often.
    I still can’t get past the things that bothered me the first time - most particularly, the logistics of a helicopter needing to fly about six miles away in a minute and a half.  It just doesn’t work!
    I think I like some of the quieter elements to the movie.  Catwoman (autocorrect just changed that to “cattleman”) has a fairly quiet arc, but it feels believable, and there’s a sense of dignity to it.  She doesn’t drastically change because of Batman’s actions; she’s more influenced by seeing the destruction that Bane brought.
    I know it’s technically inferior to The Dark Knight, but the flaws are part of what keeps me coming back to it.  Bane actually improves as a villain the more I see it.  He’s got a great balance between the comic book elements and the real-life elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment