Tuesday, December 30, 2014

222 - Ishtar

    A pair of songwriters get a gig in Ishtar, where they get entangled in a political mess.
    Cathy got me the Blu-ray for Christmas.  We watched it together.
    After I watched this the first time, I liked it quite a bit.  The longer I thought about it, the more I liked it.  Dangerous Business has been in my head often, and I’ve been suggesting the movie to almost anyone I can.
    The second viewing was actually better than the first!  While I had really liked all of the music/songwriting sequences the first time through, I felt like the plot was almost an intrusion into that bliss.  This time through, the plot wasn’t bad at all.  It felt like there was more of a continuity from the song sequences into the plot ones, and it felt more like two people from another movie stumbling into a big-budget action movie.  The tone of the delivery and the photography changes.
    I was more aware of a variety of continuity gags.  Every time they’re on stage, they invariably kick a microphone at some point.  Dangerous Business is remixed into different instrumental versions for background music (as well as a piece of music used in the Mission: Impossible series, in a very pleasing easter egg).
    There’s one complaint that I have, and it’s hard to blame them for.  There are passages where most of the dialogue is whispered.  I wish the mixing were better for those scenes.  I think those play better in theaters though.

No comments:

Post a Comment