Saturday, December 13, 2014

217 - Troop Beverly Hills

    A stereotypical materialistic mother in Beverly Hills goes through a divorce, and decides to run her daughter’s Wilderness Girl troop.
    A podcast I listen to has mentioned this movie a fair amount.  One of the hosts of the show grew up watching a VHS copy of it.  I didn’t have any strong expectations of it.
    It’s not bad… but it’s not that good either.  There are a few good gags, but much of the humor feels weak and predictable.  I can’t blame this on having a cast that is largely children, either, since Shelly Long is the main character.  In fact, I didn’t feel like the girls were developed all that much.  Most of them were interchangeable.
    I realized that this was the equivalent of The Mighty Ducks to another person.  It’s a slobs-vs-snobs story (although cleverly inverted this time) that has lots of kids having fun and acting cool.  There are a few differences though, in that Ducks had the adult storyline, but shifted it far into the background, and even then, tethered the adult relationship to an adult/child relationship.  In this, the adult storyline is pushed further into the foreground, and it was hard to feel invested in the children.
    Most of the humor is a one-note kind of thing.  I don’t know what I think of that, since stuff like The Brady Bunch Movie is also a one-note story… but it’s done well.  I think the humor of this may have just been wasted on me.  I understood it was intended to be funny, but I simply didn’t care.
    This didn’t prevent me from enjoying the movie.  It gets a little more fun as the story builds, even if it’s a formulaic approach.
    If I saw this when I was younger, there’s a good chance I would have liked it.  If I were a young girl, I almost definitely would like it.
    The weirdest thing is the occasional use of the word ‘shit.’  Doesn’t seem like it fits with the tone of the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment