Sunday, December 21, 2014

220 - We Are the Best!

    Three young girls in 1982 Sweden form a punk band.
    This had a solid five-star rating on Netflix.  I decided to overcome my lack of interest in punk music to give it a try.
    It’s good.  I feel like there are aspects of it that I don’t quite identify with, since I’ve never been to Sweden, I’m not a girl, and I’ve never identified with the punk mindset.  Outside of these issues, there’s something very charming about this.  Their band is almost incidental.  It seems to give the characters something to do, but most of the story is just the three of them having fun, arguing, and indulging in their friendship.  And that’s where the movie feels best.  The three girls have interesting relationships, they have distinct personalities, and the interplay is simultaneously unpredictable and completely normal.
    The ending comes with their first public performance, and it’s strange.  It doesn’t feel like much of an ending, but at least it seems like it solidifies the point made about their friendship.
    What I found most likable was Hedvig, who knows her instrument well, but seems to like the fun of playing punk music.  But it was her role as a mediator that I liked.  She doesn’t have as many lines, and she seems the least comfortable with stretching her boundaries to accommodate her friends, but her behavior is still something I identify with.
    Still, I don’t really understand the punk mindset.  That isn’t to say that the adults in this come across as good people, or even reasonable.  They seem shortsighted, probably about just as shortsighted as the girls do.  But it reinforces a few stereotypes I have about punk music, notably that it involves a bunch of musicians copying each other and repeating ideas without actually believing in anything in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment