Monday, March 24, 2014

56 - The Producers

    A down-on-his-luck producer recruits an accountant in a scheme to oversell shares of a surefire flop.
    It’s been a long time, but the movie is remarkably indelible.  I still remembered specific shots, a lot of the dialogue, and a lot of the music.
    First, both Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder are perfect.  I’ve been a big fan of Zero Mostel because of his spectacular performance in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.  Gene Wilder has always been solidly great, but he reminds me a little of Kevin Kline, in that he’s a nearly perfect comedic actor who disappears so completely into his roles that it’s hard to notice that it’s him doing that work.
    Second, the script is really good.  I have a few reservations about it, but they’re minimal.  The problem is that the first scene is so great that it’s hard to keep that quality flowing through the whole thing.
    I actually found myself thinking of Blazing Saddles during this, and the way that Mel Brooks has changed over time.  I think that this and Blazing Saddles are actually the pinnacle of his work.  Many of the other movies have some great moments, but most of them lack the heart that this one does.  The theatrical sequences in this movie actually look like a dry run for the big musical number in Blazing Saddles (which could be viewed as a dry run for The Inquisition number in History of the World.)
    I think I should seek out some of Zero Mostel’s other work.  I think I would be a little more disappointed by his dramatic work, since I love his comedic work so much.
    Also note - the artwork for the Blu-ray release of this is fantastic.  I wish I could have used it here, but it's hard to find a good image of it online.

No comments:

Post a Comment