Wednesday, March 19, 2014

53 - "Crocodile" Dundee II

    Mick Dundee and his girl wind up getting mixed up with a drug lord, who tracks them to Australia and confronts Mick on his own territory.
    I remember that I saw this in theaters, but I didn’t remember anything other than that the plot involved drugs, and I remember seeing Dundee sneaking around outside the mansion.  And I remembered the opening scene, of him fishing with dynamite.
    I was really surprised at this one.  It’s actually a pleasant movie.  It’s not great, and it doesn’t have anything important to say, but the performances are dialed to exactly the right level.  When they have a terrible joke to work with, they don’t try to sell it as a better joke.  The effect that this has is that I never felt annoyed at the movie.
    The biggest weakness is the villain.  He’s not terribly done, but he’s just a little too cartoonish.
    The structure is a little strange.  The first half of the movie is firmly in NY, and the second half relocates to Australia.  Normally I have some issues with this kind of a structure, but it plays out pretty well here.  There was a small amount of dead weight during the first half, but it’s trivial stuff.  It’s all played for fun, and it’s interesting enough that the lack of contribution to the plot is forgivable.
    I really thought I would be more disappointed with this, but it held up better than my memories of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment