Sunday, March 9, 2014

48 - 28 Days Later

    After a rage virus destroys most of the population of England, a few survivors seek out refuge at a military camp.
    A perennial favorite.  Every time I watch it, I find certain sequences remarkable.  I forget about how powerful certain visuals - and certain sequences - are.  As a result, I start watching it for the remarkable scene where Jim wakes up and wanders a deserted city.  Then I forget about how amazing the battle at the castle is.
    My wife found this movie more distressing when she first saw it.  I didn’t find the ending as powerful, but on repeat viewings, I pay closer attention to the performances during the entire military sequence.  As I get better at distinguishing all the soldier and their personalities, I find this part of the movie much more eerie.
    I still feel a little conflicted about how the movie is shot.  I don’t mind the kind of grainy, low-resolution photography, and I think it works well for this movie.  When frustrates me more is the heavy use of weird angles and incredibly fast cuts.  Again - if I can’t tell what’s happening, I don’t get scared.  I used to be more annoyed by how the last act seems especially difficult to follow because of the lower light.  Now, I think it could be better, but it’s not as bad.
    The strangest weakness that the movie has is how there’s a stretch of calm, safe living during a stretch in the middle.  It’s an effective tool to make the last act a bit more powerful, but I wonder what the experience of the movie would be like if there were more tension leading up to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment