Friday, March 14, 2014

49 - The Wall

    A woman finds herself imprisoned on a bucolic tract of land by some kind of an invisible wall.
    I can’t remember how this was categorized, but it was probably because of my interest in horror movies.  It’s not really a horror movie, and it’s not really sci-fi.  It’s a drama.  The horror of being isolated is not a focus, and neither is the nature of the wall keeping her apart.  We never get anything that suggests an explanation.
    It’s still an interesting exploration of the role that mankind plays in nature.  There are peculiar weaknesses to the story.  Namely, I occasionally would realize that I didn’t feel like I had an understand of the main character’s personality.  I know what she does.  I know what she cares about.  But with the absence of everything else, it doesn’t seem like it defines her personality any more.
    For example, let’s say that there is one song in the world.  No new music will ever be recorded, performed, anything at all.  Liking that song suddenly is no longer an element that builds personality.
    There are other strange qualities to her behavior.  I would think she would be more desperate for contact, and I think the dog would be invited to sleep in her bed.  She doesn’t actually seem to be on especially friendly terms with the dog.  They get along, but she doesn’t pay much attention to it.  There are very few moments where she seems to care about it in a way that is more than passive.

No comments:

Post a Comment