Saturday, March 22, 2014

55 - Do You Like My Basement?

    A filmmaker attempts to make a horror movie showcasing genuine fear.
    A low, low budget movie.  From my light research, it was less than fifty thousand.  This isn’t a bad thing.  The project is best served by ultra-low-budget work, and it’s pleasing to see that the project didn’t aim too high.  It’s a shaky-cam production, but it seems to be kept to a minimum.
    I do feel a little conflicted about the quality of the script.  It’s not terrible, but it seems to be a little light on plot progression.  The vast majority of the movie is spent accumulating victims in preparation for a very brief finale.  There isn’t much tension, since we never get any feeling like the main character has any risk of being caught.
    In this sense, the movie reminds me a lot of some of the grand guignol horror movies of the seventies.  (Checking wiki for an article on this, that redirects to Psycho-Biddy.  That isn’t what I mean.  I think I’m looking for stuff like Bloodsucking Freaks.)  As much as it seems to avoid plot development by just focusing on characters in dangerous situations, it’s actually very tame.  Next to no gore, and most of it is saved for an ending sequence.
    This movie isn’t for everyone.  But it’s a very good effort for limited budget and limited sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment