Friday, January 10, 2014

8 - Monster Camp

    A documentary about NERO, a live-action role-play game, focusing specifically on a chapter running in Seattle.
    This was recommended because I had watched Darkon.  I'm a bit disappointed with this one.  Darkon created a specific event that the documentary focused on; a power struggle between two competing players.  Monster Camp is much more unfocused.  It's interesting, mostly because the game is so much more complicated than Darkon.
    I find most of this behavior is stuff I can't do.  I can't play things like D&D because I can't lose myself to a fiction the way some people can.  And yet, I feel comfortable acting when I know my lines.
    The structure of NERO seems much more interesting.  I like the division between participating as a player character, or as a non-player character.  That's a great way to approach the game, and it allows people to play in a way that better suits their personality.
    The lack of focus does hurt this.  Normally, a skillfully-made documentary doesn't have to rely on having an audience that is interested in the subject matter; they get sucked in despite their interests.  In this case, if you don't have much interest in the LARPing culture, there's nothing to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment