Tuesday, January 7, 2014

6 - Best in Show

    A pseudo-documentary about a variety of people and their dogs, competing in the Westminster Kennel Club show.
    When I first watched this, it was back sometime shortly after it came out on VHS or DVD.  I remembered enjoying it, but I don't think I could recall most of the jokes.  So I finally got it on Blu-ray.  And this is probably one of the worst transfers I've seen.  It looks passable, but not clean.  It looks like it's roughly the same quality as a DVD.
    I wasn't sure what I was going to think of this.  Since I first saw it, I've gotten a dog, and gotten much more immersed in dog culture.  Luckily, the movie works in either case.  The dogs are really not a focus.  If anything, being knowledgable about dogs made me feel worse for the weimaraner, who deals with terrible humans.
    The humor is a little more broad than the other Guest movies.  This isn't a problem, just an observation.  Waiting for Guffman was a little harder to appreciate without a theater background.  This Is Spinal Tap is a cult classic for a reason - it's harder to appreciate without being a musician.  Best in Show is almost completely character-driven comedy, and dog culture has very little to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment