Sunday, January 19, 2014

18 - Star Trek Into Darkness

    Kirk and crew are sent on an unusual mission to retrieve a terrorist that is hiding out on the Klingon home world.
    I've been wanting to re-watch this.  I remember enjoying it when I saw it in theaters, though not quite as much as the first movie.  I actually like it a little less on a second viewing.
    It's not a terrible movie at all.  I've read some comments from people who think it's unacceptably bad.  It's a step down from the previous Star Trek, but I think this one fulfills something that was missing in the Trek movies.  It's dark.  It gives a bleaker presentation of what Starfleet is like.  The threat isn't entirely external.  There are more complicated moral and ethical questions.  It's true that the various Trek TV series have been able to focus on more complicated issues, the movies have been remarkably simplistic.
    My biggest complaint about this movie is how forced the action sequences feel.  There are just set pieces, one after another.  Combined with direction that doesn't leave much room for breathing, it's an exhausting movie to watch.  This can work, but there's something that doesn't feel right with this one.
    I still don't hate it.  I wish things had been adjusted a little.  I don't like the sequence of Kirk and Kahn jetting across space between ships.  It goes on longer than it should, there isn't that much tension.  The highlight of it is seeing Simon Pegg hamming it up.
    Still, I wonder how I'll feel about it later.  I might feel a little less annoyed with it.  Maybe I just need to be in the right mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment