Thursday, January 2, 2014

1 - The Room

    Johnny, a successful, well liked man, is cuckolded by his fiancé, Lisa.  His perfect world crumbles.
    I bought the Blu-ray of this back when it came out - probably about a year ago.  I love this movie.  It's remarkable on so many levels, and ever time I watch it, I discover new things.  This time was no exception.  The higher quality really brought out a few elements I hadn't noticed before.
    The element I was focused on this time was the problem of scene construction.  With most movies, each scene leads to the next.  Even if you don't remember exactly what comes next, there's a logical order to the chain of events.  This doesn't exist in The Room.  I kept thinking about the possibility of a re-edit of the movie.  Re-ordering the scenes might actually bring a better sense of cohesion to the movie.  Not to mention, trimming scenes, dialogue, establishing shots.
    This time through, I felt more sorry for Greg, playing Mark, and Juliette, playing Lisa.  Both of them are actually pretty decent actors, and during a few scenes, I could feel them struggling to put the best spin possible on the material.
    Denny is one of the strangest characters.  He's supposed to be a young guy, and sometimes he projects that.  Other times, he gives a look.  It's a very creepy smile.  I don't know how intentional this is.  I wonder how essential Denny is to the story.  He doesn't really add anything to the main plot, but his scenes do tend to spice things up a little.
    Who knows.  I can't recommend The Room enough.  It's an experience like no other.

No comments:

Post a Comment