Sunday, April 21, 2013

60 - Summer of '42

    The memoirs of a 15-year-old summer vacation on an island, where he hangs out with some friends, tries to learn about sex, seduce girls, and pine for an older lady.
    This is a damn good movie.
    It's an important one, too.  I believe that this movie paved the way for most teen sex comedies, but handled the material in a way that was just far, far classier than any modern teen sex comedies.  The writing is perfect.  It comes across as being accurate, so much so that it's easy to cringe at how awkward the teens are at flirting.
    The other conversations - just the dialogue between the boys - are incredible.  The follow the sense of teenage logic, but they're littered with the truth about a 15-year-old's focus.  They are extremely sexual, but very poorly educated.  It's very charming.
    The story is bittersweet.  And it's hard to say that it has a concrete meaning.  But, as I've gathered from reading up on the story, it's just an account of his first "adult experience."  This makes us try to remember when we had that same experience.  (To be honest, I don't think I had a specific one.  I remember that there was a summer that I realized that I no longer found a lot of childish things funny.)
    The best comparison I can think of for this movie is Love Story.  I was really impressed with that the first time I saw it, but I never felt the urge to re-watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment