Wednesday, April 17, 2013

56 - Darkon

    A documentary about a massive live-action role-play organization, with a focus on a specific conflict event.
    For some reason, I'm unable to improvise acting.  This is really peculiar.  I think I can do it, but only after I've already constructed a large enough narrative in my head.  I've done a small amount of acting in high school, and I felt reasonably capable when I did that.  But I participated in a murder mystery dinner, which turned out to be a terrible experience.  I had nothing to offer in terms of playing the role, and I felt frustrated by other people sticking to their roles so firmly.
    So the result is that I find it completely fascinating that people are able to do this kind of world-building, especially on such a massive scale.  World building tends to fall apart as more people participate, but it sounds like they manage to keep things fairly grounded.  Most of the people involved are distressingly normal.  The one token nerd they include is remarkably well spoken, and very self-aware.  He doesn't embarrass himself.
    What makes the documentary interesting isn't how interested the people are in their project - it's how invested the viewer gets.  I found that the last two battles weren't just dramatic stagings, but I was genuinely curious about how they would play out in terms of the net effect on the Darkon world.
    I could never participate in this kind of activity, but that isn't to say that I wouldn't enjoy the combat.

No comments:

Post a Comment