Friday, April 5, 2013

45 - Paranormal Activity 2

    The sister of the lead from Paranormal Activity has just had a baby.  The family - her, her husband, and her step-daughter and dog deal with a strange haunting.
    I wasn't sure how much I liked this one at first.  It seemed like it was effectively the same as the first movie, but with a baby.  Instead, once this one had a chance to develop, it was a fantastic idea.  It ties in to the first movie - most of the movie taking place before the events of the first movie, with a few minutes of material that covers a period of time after that movie has ended.
    The demon's actions seem even more puzzling here.  We get further clues about what has happened that makes them a target, but there's also a whole lot of material that remains unexplained.  We never learn exactly what possession by this demon entails.  We don't know quite what the demon's goal is.
    They've struck on an excellent formula.  These movies don't seem to be too difficult to shoot, and the movies promise the same things each time - high tension, with creepy payouts by making spooky things happen.  Things ramp up over the course of the movie, leading to a jump scare payoff.
    The effectiveness of the jump scare is a little mixed.  There were actually a few of them in this movie, but they all felt reasonable.
    I think I liked this one more than the first.  I liked the daughter more than the parents.  I think including the dog was a nice angle, and I'm impressed with the performance that the dog gave.  Like the first one, I don't think it's the sort of thing that I would re-watch.  But I'm very impressed with how well they tied the story to the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment