Sunday, January 27, 2013

12 - Resident Evil: Retribution

    Alice is captured by Umbrella, and is put in another underground bunker.  This time, it's a bunker where the T-virus was tested and demonstrated in a variety of scenarios.
    I've found that I can't rely on other people to suggest if any of the Resident Evil movies are better than another.  (Except, I think the second one is pretty universally hated)  I've read people praising this one, saying they hate it, and of course, it's all meaningless.  These movies aren't especially great.  But I have this compulsion toward them.
    This one is still fun, but it's not up to the level of the last two, which I enjoyed much more.  This one seemed a little more forced.  In particular, it seemed like there was an effort to come up with a scenario that would allow the movie to use a collection of sets for action sequences.  This isn't terrible, and it's very satisfying.  I kind of wish the movie would have been a little less obvious about how that was done.  They take a brief sequence to explicitly explain what scenarios will be shown.
    There's one aspect of this movie that bothered me.  They brought Jill Valentine back, who still has some thing attached to her chest that forces her to do Umbrella's bidding.  What bothers me is that no one seems to make the effort to take this thing off.  Alice finally does near the end, but that's something she should have been trying to do since the start of their fight.
    There are also some very strong parallels to Aliens.  That doesn't bother me, it just seems a little awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment