Saturday, January 19, 2013

8 - The Dark Knight Rises

    Terrorist Bane arrives in Gotham, and holds the city hostage.  Batman has to come out of retirement, escape from a faraway prison, and disable a bomb to save the city.
    It's amazing that I held out this long before watching the Blu-ray.  It came out in early December!
    Honestly, it's a step down.  It's still a whole lot of fun, and Nolan knows how to direct the hell out of whatever he's working on.  But there are still these annoying mistakes that bother me.  In addition to the ones I noticed the first time (notably, the distance between the city and the bomb, as well as the time left on the clock) I also noticed the continuity problem, where the stock exchange opens in the morning, Bane arrives, and does his thing.  There's a chase through the city.  By the end of a sequence that is supposed to be about 10 minutes in movie-time, it's suddenly nighttime.
    And I have an issue with the character of Foley.  It's great to have a character who is unintentionally sabotaging the heroes.  But I still feel like he didn't earn his heroic death.  I guess I'd rather that a character like that dies aware that he's caused a certain number of problems.  Instead, he only comes out and fights because he knows he has a lot of support.

No comments:

Post a Comment