Saturday, January 12, 2013

5 - Brave

    A young Scottish princess doesn't want to pick a suitor, and gets a witch to hex her mother.  After realizing that the hex isn't a great idea, she works to undo the spell, and reunite her father's clan with the other ones.
    It's hard for me to explain how I feel about Pixar movies.  I've seen Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Monsters, Inc., WALL-E, and now Brave.  And with every one of them, I've felt like they're entertaining, but they aren't right.  There's something nakedly manipulative about them.  I suppose that every movie is an exercise in manipulation, but these bother me.  Like the emotional scenes haven't been earned.
    To be fair, Brave didn't bother me as much as WALL-E did.  There was something that really bugged me about WALL-E, and it's been long enough that I can't remember what it was.  Brave seemed to be a little strange.  We're obviously supposed to identify with the princess, but I mostly found her annoying.  I didn't identify with her mother either.  In fact, it seemed like everyone in the movie was a caricature of some broad ideas that they used to make a movie.
    At least it didn't offend me.  I guess I'm just puzzled about why people think Pixar movies are so incredibly perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment