Friday, October 31, 2014

186 - Livid (Livide)

    A girl starts training as an at-home nurse.  One of the patients she meets is comatose, and supposedly has a treasure hidden in her home.  The girl returns with two guys to search for the treasure.
    I don’t know what to think.  It started well.  It developed pretty well.  Then things got weird during the last act.  There are a few things that don’t make much sense.  However, this does actually remain one of the more interesting variations on the vampire mythology that I’ve seen in modern times.
    There are a few genuinely creepy bits.  The mechanical movements of the daughter are the real highlight of the movie, and the steampunk-ish surgical scene is really neat.
    The problem is that I had to look up the wiki article to figure out what the ending was supposed to be.  I’m still not sure if I understand it.
    Some of the smaller details seem a little annoying in retrospect.  There was a bit where the girl is annoyed to find that her father is dating again after her mother’s death.  Then she sees what I assume is the ghost of her mother.  While this was enjoyable at the time, it’s easy to assume that this information will be relevant later.  Instead, it seems that it was only there to spice up the first half of the movie.
    There were a few things that I liked about the movie though.  The flashback sequences were done very well, and I felt like they benefited from being set during the daytime.  The decoration of the house was well-done (although I’ve felt like use of taxidermy is a little cliche).
    It does feel like to does something unique for the vampire sub-genre.  I don’t know what it is, but it somehow feels a little more fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment