Wednesday, November 5, 2014

187 - My Little Pony: Equestria Girls - Rainbow Rocks

    A trio of evil girls arrive at Canterlot High, and their magic turns students against each other.  Twilight Sparkle is called in from Equestria to help the girls save the day at a battle of the bands.
    I was pleased with the first Equestria Girls movie, far more than I expected to be.  It’s a real shame, this one feels half-baked.  The writing is sub-par.  The jokes are rarely worthwhile, and the songs are pretty bad.  While I didn’t feel like any of the songs in the first movie were really good, they were decent.  In this one, there’s too much of an effort to make everything seem cool and cutting edge.  This really hurts it.  I especially dislike when they switch to a different person to voice the singing.  Part of what makes Apple Bloom and Apple Jack’s singing enjoyable is that they remain in character.  I hate hearing Twilight sing, since she loses most of her character.
    There’s a repeated theme of referencing the last movie, talking about how monstrous Sunset Shimmer was.  These aren’t enjoyable jokes.  They don’t even seem like jokes.
    Honestly, even the messages about friendship seem to be forced.  It would help if we saw the main characters actually getting along well before we see them go through hard times.

     Even though the subtitle for My Little Pony is "Friendship is Magic" - an idea to be taken literally - I wish that these features would try avoiding magical aspects in favor of a stronger script.  Maybe that wouldn't be as appealing to kids though.

     The highlight of it - Pinkie Pie playing the theremin.  It should have gone on longer, and I didn't care for the punchline, but it was nice to see that animated.

No comments:

Post a Comment