Friday, November 21, 2014

199 - Scream 4

    Years later, Sidney returns to her hometown.  Upon her return, a killer begins trying to re-create the original murders.
    I had heard that this movie was a return to form.  Given that I think the original Scream was actually a pretty weak horror movie, this isn’t a selling point.  To be fair, they did a good job with the opening scene.  It’s a nice, nested version of things.  This is always the peak of any of the Scream movies.
    Once the story gets going, I realized that it was remarkably boring.  There were a few things that I enjoyed - developing Gale and Dewey’s relationship was a real plus.  It’s nice to have them moving forward instead of resetting with every movie.  Sidney remains just a much of a non-character as ever.
    There’s the usual twist upon twist, adjusting the audience expectation of who the killer(s) will be.  As usual, it’s hard to care.  I guess I just don’t like that it’s not nuanced.  I’d rather that there were small, subtle hints that actually felt like you could unravel them.
    When I reached the last fifteen minutes of the movie, I actually felt like the pre-ending sequence would have been a really great way to end the story.  It would have opened the door to a much more interesting franchise of movies.  Instead, they undo the possibility of that, and put everything neatly back in place.  Everyone who needs to, survives.  Everyone evil, doesn’t.
    Why did I watch all of these movies?  I’m not sure why.
    One of the things that has bothered me with all of the movies, but I’ve never put my finger on it, is the acting.  Everyone involved in these things is good enough, but I think it’s a direction problem.  Everyone amps up their acting as far as they can.  It’s fun, and a little campy at the beginning.  Then the longer it goes along, it gets exhausting.  Really exhausting.  By the last act, everything is nonstop hamming it up, people yelling and delivering everything in the most ridiculous over-the-top dramatics they can think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment