Tuesday, October 7, 2014

177 - Night of the Creeps

    An alien organism/parasite/weapon is accidentally dropped on Earth.  The infestation of creatures turns a bunch of people into zombies that spread via large slugs.
    There’s a good reason I’ve put off watching this for so long, and it’s made obvious by that summary.  It’s a weird story.  It’s so weird that I don’t feel like I can explain how the story works, but it does.  It’s fairly ridiculous, but it develops in the right way, making it feel like the logical continuation of the events that preceded it.
    It’s packed with little references to horror and other movies, but they are all very small things - a lot of the names are borrowed from other directors, there are a few references to Plan 9 From Outer Space, which the movie shares some plot elements with.
    More importantly though, the movie is funny.  It’s campy, it’s silly, but it seems to be aware of it.
    The director went on to direct The Monster Squad the following year, which I really loved.  I still think that The Monster Squad fills a very important gap in semi-serious horror aimed at kids and young teens.  This doesn’t feel like he was aiming at kids though.  I think he was aiming at aficionados.
    Still, a fun movie, and I wonder what I would have thought if I rented it as a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment