Thursday, October 2, 2014

170 - Iron Man 3

    Tony Stark deals with his PTSD, his relationship with Pepper, and a terrorist called The Mandarin.
    This is my second time through this movie, and I didn’t know what to expect.  I know that I enjoyed the movie the first time, but I had a few reservations.  This time through, I’ve been able to more firmly identify what it is that I like, and what I don’t like.
    First, the bad stuff.  The third act is hard to care about, and this is because of a problem with the plot.  I understand that the villain has a personal grudge against Stark.  But I have no idea what the villain’s ultimate goal is.  I can piece together a plan, but I have a hard time understanding why he wants to do this.  The villain wants to take over the country… but I’m not sure why.  Power?  Money?  Neither of them seem relevant.  This lack of focus makes it hard to care about the last act.
    But the good stuff is very interesting.  I think this one will go down as one of the more touching Marvel movies, because so much of the first half is devoted to Stark dealing with his personal problems.  These scenes are great.  Most of the earlier action is great, too.  In fact, it’s only that last big blowout that isn’t worthwhile.  After the airplane rescue, it just sort of fizzles.
    I hope that they bring Iron Man back for a fourth movie.  This isn’t a bad effort, but I think they can do better.
     One complaint... I hate the cover for this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment